Sunday, July 8, 2007

Storage Solutions

Someone like me must have a billion and so different pieces of makeup. Well near a billion and so, rather hundreds I'm pretty sure. So what must a girl do when her old method of just having her bare essentials in a makeup bag proves to be too much for? She moves into a bigger and better world of organizations. Its amazing how much you'll learn about organizing your little knick knacks from this. Oh, I never seemed to have mentioned my other (not quite so) little obsessions. That you can find on my own personal site which I'll link later on when I remember to. I'll categorize make up collectors in my terms but you are free to make up your own!

Category 1: The Nudist
These people rarely if ever put on makeup. Sure they might have an occasional lip balm here and there but other than that, they place their obsessions into other areas. Probably will spend a couple of bucks on basic skin care and thats pretty much it.

Category 2: The Essentialist
With them you'll find the them with the most essentials of makeup. I was in this area in high school. You'll have that one to two eyeshadow palettes (definitely not the huge ones), an eyeliner, eyelash curler, mascara, a few lip products sprawled out here and there, blush, foundation, powder and/or a few brushes from a brush set. Possibly one of the sane ones in the group now that I think about it.

Category 3: The Extremist
Usually has a lot, a lot of makeup that they sort of made into a display area and worship it, Ok maybe not to that point but I know there are those out there who do so (I can hear my friends going, YEA! YOU! heh). They would have multiples of the same color but can tell the difference if they are pearl, matte, mixed with other colors, sheer, possibly which brands if an orgy of different brands sat in a MAC palette and so forth. They also have a tendency to hoard their HG (holy grails), especially if its being discontinued or limited edition. They will browse through makeup communities seeing whats new, whats coming out, who has a sale and so on. They will hunt for a new HG even if they have one.

Now that we have the three categories down, you can see that the Nudist would not need anything more than a makeup bag for her stuff. In fact, she can board a plane without much worries that an expensive make up will be taken and tossed (does anyone know what ever happens to those makeup? Its such a waste. Makes me cry a little inside.) She'll never need the hassle of finding storage solutions.

Next we have the Essentialist, she would suffice with a slightly larger makeup bag but if she doesn't like the hassle of going through it, she'd consider a small empty drawer (hopefully NOT in the bathroom, the changing temperature and humidity can cause it to go bad faster), or an acrylic organizer you can find in Target-like stores.

Last and not least we have the Extremist, possibly aka as me to my friends, where we have not that basic makeup bag lying around, its possible that its a number of makeup bags. Sometimes hidden treasure can be those oh so many bags. There is also the usage of sterlite drawer to hold the massive amount, each drawer to a different product or use. I've gotten to the point where I just bought a two door cabinet from Ikea in the Vinstra collection. May I tell you, I love it. Somehow the majority of my makeup fits in there and my makeup I hoard, I keep it in the boxes above my cabinet.

Please look forward to my mini tour of my makeup cabinet!

No comments: